Thursday, April 21, 2011

Be a Birdwatcher

Okay - for those of you who are exciting and expecting to read another post from Bird, I apologize for the confusion but not for the post. I, like you, have waited patiently for my darling daughter to pick up her pen again and greet us warmly with her beautiful, vulnerable prose. Unlike you - I have her password! So, I am offering this post to ask you, her followers, to coax a bit of music out of this songbird.

I consider myself to be a pretty decent "giver." I don't offer myself out of obligation; rather, I always find that I receive far more than I ever give to an effort that is meaningful and serves others. I am fortunate to be married to someone who is also a great giver. So, I guess that Katherine comes by her love of relationships and giving to others naturally. The downside of that lifestyle is that you seldom hear the appreciation - the gas if you will - to refill your engine. You are less likely to stop long enough to refuel -so it is not always correct to assume that your friends don't appreciate you. Sometimes it is as simple as never having the opportunity to say "thank you." Some givers actually are not very adept at being on the receiving end of someone's kindness. The act of giving becomes a competition, an obligation, which defeats the healthy attributes of sacrificial service. All of this is to say, that when we hear the sweet melodies of one that we love, we seldom pay attention until the music stops! So here is my plan to restart the "music."

I have two wonderful - actually three- wonderful children and while I play no favorites, I think that I find different ways to connect or identify with them. While all three of my kids love music, I have noticed, upon reflection, that I can more clearly see Katherine in the songs that I listen to. Ben and I share songs but Katherine often becomes the song. As a little one, we used to dance to "Dress You Up" by Madonna. We will definitely dance to that at her wedding!! As she grew up before our eyes, her joy in being a member of a choir only added to family hobby of concerts and music exploration. In recent years as she has been on distant continents, I have found much solace in songs that embody her. Her European journey opened "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay. While in India, it was "Send Me" by Mercy Me. Her time in Costa Rica was made easier by a song from the movie Australia, "By the Boab Tree", by Ophelia of the Spirits. We even traded closing lines in e-mails, "I will sing you to me" - a great line from that movie. Recently, I listened to "Someone Like You" from Adele's 21 (thank you daughter Kristen for that CD). And I am sure the list will continue to grow.

But my assignment for you, is to consider the song that you believe most embodies our Bird. Consider each of these a tiny, little worm or breadcrumb that will pull her out of her writing "blah" and have her singing a new tune for us.

If that doesn't work, I will give you her password and you can write the next post.

Dad

PS - before I end up in trouble with her saying my friends must think something is wrong, I immediately discount that. What is wrong is eleven months with no post! That simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment